The Pitch invites original pitches of up to two (2) minutes in length, showcasing the potential of the entrant to make a film. The entrant will demonstrate this with a pitch for an original contemporary short film (running length 10-15 minutes) that takes inspiration from a biblical story, parable, character or book. Any genre is acceptable, and the pitch may be a simple piece to camera telling the story, or it may be a storyboard, pilot piece, etc.
Each pitch must be accompanied by the official entry form, which will outline the case for supporting the film maker, cite the biblical source material for the pitch, and include a rationale for the choice of material.
The competition is open to everyone aged 18 years or over as of 1 January 2021.
Entry is conditional upon full agreement to The Rules.
All pitches being submitted must be uploaded to The Pitch South Africa website between 1 July and 25 October 2021. It will not be possible to submit a pitch after 12:00 noon on 25 October 2021.
Read about the judging process we use, here.
The finalists will be notified in December 2021 and then the Pitch selections will be publicly announced on www.enterthepitchsa.co.za.
The finalists will be invited to participate in an online residential weekend, taking place on 18-20 February 2022. Finalists will come to Cape Town on 21 February 2022 for a face-to-face pitch with the judges and a subsequent interview on 22 February 2022. Accommodation for two nights will be provided
The winner will be announced on Tuesday 22 February 2022.
The Big Prize - what the winner receives
The winner will work with a production budget (which has a value of R300 000) and production support to make their short film, of 10–15 minutes. The winner will be expected to demonstrate the ability to undertake the practical production of the film but will be offered production assistance from an established film production company.
The short film will be filmed, and completed during 2022, at dates to be agreed with the winner. This will take into account the period for pre-production and will proceed to principle photography as and when the project is ready.
Subject to funding the winning pitcher will then be able to enter the completed film in suitable film competions during 2023.
The small print
The following are non-negotiable requirements of entry. By completing and submitting an official entry form, you are agreeing to be bound by terms and conditions set out below. The Pitch South Africa reserves the right to amend and alter these rules without notice.
The following definitions shall apply in these rules:
- ‘Pitch’ a pitch submitted to The Pitch South Africa website and accompanied by an official entry form.
- The Pitch South Africa also referred to as The Pitch SA.
- ‘Pitcher’ a person submitting a pitch.
- ‘The Pitch South Africa Team’ the individuals organising the competition.
- 'The Pitch / The Pitch South Africa Team' (when used in relation to or with reference to ownership or rights) the subgroup of The Pitch team responsible for production, operating as RIF Productions.
- ‘The Pitch Website’ the website located at South Africa www.enterthepitchsa.co.za
- The pitch must clearly demonstrate, both in the visual pitch and accompanying written material, that the underlying source material is biblical.
- A completed entry form must accompany each pitch submission. Pitches not accompanied by an official entry form will not be considered.
- Any pitch in excess of 2 minutes shall be automatically disqualified.
- Submissions must be made in English or use English subtitles.
- Any content that is deemed, at the absolute discretion of ‘The Pitch South Africa Team’, to be blasphemous, offensive, pornographic, defamatory or obscene or in any other way against the spirit of the competition, shall be disqualified.
- The Pitch South Africa is open to film makers eligible to work in South Africa. All pitchers must be able to attend the online Finalists Weekend on 18-20 February 2022, as well as the live pitching to the judges in Cape Town on 22 February 2022. It is the responsibility of the pitcher to meet all costs of travel.
- Pitchers must be aged 18 or over as of 1 January 2021.
- Employees of ‘The Pitch South Africa Team’ and members of their immediate families (including any live-in partner) are ineligible to enter. Any such entries will be invalid.
- Pitchers must be able to attend the online Finalists Weekend and live pitching event, should their pitch be shortlisted.
- Only one pitch per pitcher may be submitted.
- Pitchers may work in small teams to develop a series of ideas but, if selected, only one person per team will be invited to attend the Finalists Weekend and live ptiching event. Teams must nominate the individual at the time of entry.
- All Pitches must be submitted by 12:00 on 25 October 2021.
- The winner’s film must be produced during 2022.
- All content that is not in violation of terms but is deemed unsuitable for minors will require age verification prior to viewing and voting if the pitch is selected to participate in Round two.
The pitcher is responsible for ensuring that their pitch is uploaded to The Pitch SA website in the format outlined.
- All pitches must be in 16:9 ratio.
Please see the technical information page for more information about uploading your pitch.
- The pitcher must be the producer, director, or creator/writer, of the pitch.
- The pitcher must be the originator/owner of the short film for which they are pitching.
- The pitch must not be currently under consideration by another production company, investor or development consortium.
- The pitcher must not have sold, conveyed, granted or assigned any right, title or interest in the pitch, and the pitcher guarantees there are no legal encumbrances on the submitted pitch of any kind, and that the pitcher is not subject to, nor is it aware of any matters, facts or circumstances which could lead to any claims, proceedings or litigation or other allegation of infringement, in respect of the pitch.
- Pitches may not contain any music or other item (including without limitation, trademarks or copyrightable material) for which the pitcher does not have a valid and subsisting license. It is the responsibility of the pitcher to clear all material. If there is any doubt, The Pitch South Africa Team will take all reasonable steps to clarify the situation with the pitcher but may disqualify the pitch at their discretion.
- An uploaded pitch shall not have been previously broadcast, transmitted or commercially distributed prior to its submission to The Pitch South Africa website, nor shall a submitted pitch have previously received any awards or accolades from any other competition.
- The pitcher must own all title right and interest in the submitted pitch, including, without limitation, the worldwide copyright in the pitch and any and all extensions and renewals of that copyright.
- The pitcher hereby grants The Pitch South Africa Team and competition organisers a royalty-free, non exclusive (subject to the following), worldwide license, in perpetuity, for the life of copyright, to exhibit, broadcast, transmit, display, distribute, reproduce in copies, couple with other pitches, synchronize and otherwise perform the submitted pitch.
- All rights in and to the films made by the winning Pitcher and the Runner Up Pitcher(s) (such films to be between 10-15 minutes running time and based on the Pitchers original 2 minute Pitch and as further defined herein shall be wholly owned by The Pitch South Africa Team.
- If shortlisted, The Pitch South Africa Team shall have the exclusive right to upload, post, transmit, display and broadcast the submitted pitch over the Internet on The Pitch South Africa website, or otherwise, for a period of 2 years following the submission of the uploaded pitch, and all pitchers shall use reasonable efforts to prevent any posting, transmission, display or broadcast of the submitted pitch over the Internet, including, without limitation via YouTube and similar websites without the express written consent of The Pitch South Africa Team and the competition organisers. The Pitch South Africa Team and competition organisers reserve the right to broadcast or display all submitted pitches on other websites at its sole discretion.
- In consideration of the ten highest scoring pitchers (the finalist/s) participation in the Finalists Weekend, the finalists grant The Pitch South Africa the first option to develop and produce (but without there being any obligation to develop or produce), a film based on or inspired by the finalist's pitch. Such option shall expire twelve (12) months from the date of the final day of the Finalists Weekend. In the event a finalist wishes to develop their pitch with another party within the 12 months, such a request to be sent to The Pitch South Africa, PO Box 5500, Tyger Valley 7536. The Pitch South Africa shall have ten (10) working days from receipt of such a written request from the finalist in which to take up or pass on the development of the pitch. After 10 days should no response have been received by the finalist then release from the first option shall be deemed to have been given by The Pitch South Africa.
- The finalists undertake to ensure that any film produced which is based on or inspired by their pitch, whether such film is produced with The Pitch South Africa or by a third party, shall include a credit in the closing credits of the film as to "Developed from an Original idea for The Pitch South Africa www.enterthepitchsa.co.za" or similar wording to be agreed in good faith between The Pitch South Africa and the finalist.
No matter the previous experience and background of the pitcher, the pitcher should have a vision for their future role in the industry as producer, director or writer. During the process, and particularly the Finalists Weekend, The Pitch South Africa Team and judges will, in discussion with the winner, determine the most appropriate role for the winner in the production of the winning film. In doing this, The Pitch South Africa Team will seek to build and develop a crew and cast around the pitcher in a way that best supports and develops the gifts of the winner. The judges’ decision in these matters will be final.
The Voting - Terms and Conditions
The pitches in consideration are selected by an internal panel at The Pitch South Africa and displayed on the website for voting by the public 22-26 November 2021. The public vote will be combined with the internal panel vote to select a shortlist for the industry judges.
All voters must be over the age of 15 before the voting commences. Only one set of votes is allowed per person. If evidence is found of a person multiple voting for one pitch, all such votes will be disqualified. The Internal Panel has the final decision.
Click here to find out more about the voting process.
Terms and Conditions
You are required to read the Terms and Conditions and to acknowledge that you agree to them in order to submit your Pitch.